Sunday, September 11, 2011

Never Forget

Clarissa's mom here, today. Clarissa was just a little over one year old on Sept. 11, 2001. At that time she was still an "only child". I had left my dad and brother at home and I had gone to work at the University of Louisville. I was at my desk when one of my co-workers said, "A plane has hit the World Trade Center." We all thought it was a small plane. It didn't seem like much time had passed until he called out and said the second tower had been struck. That's when we pulled out the t.v. and turned on some news.

I honestly don't remember if I cried when the towers fell. I think I felt more shock and disbelief. How could this be happening? Who would do such a thing? Of course, the Pentagon being struck, and the fourth plane going down in Pennsylvania sent more horror through our office.

I work near Louisville International Airport (aka Standiford Field). Plane after plane flew over the university as they came in to land. And then the silence was deafening. We were so used to hearing UPS planes and passenger jets flying over the campus. My home is not far from Bowman Field, which is a smaller airport than handles small planes. The skies were quiet over my neighborhood, too. And to see the airport in total darkness night after night was eerie.

When the funerals started for the firemen who lost their lives is when my tears really started. They were covered on the news and each time I heard "Amazing Grace" played on the bagpipes I just fell apart. When the university had a memorial service the following week I cried some more.

I can remember my dad talking about the shock and horror and anger after the bombing of Pearl Harbor. The attack on September 11, 2001 was my Pearl Harbor. It is a day I will never forget.


  1. Binga was the only one of us here with my human on that day. I wasn't born yet. Binga doesn't remember it... but my human does, all too well.

  2. We were not around then but our mom says it was a very sad day.