After a week on the antibiotic and pain meds there was no change. His eye continued to bleed. On Tuesday (Oct. 3) I called the animal ophthalmologist who sees Lily. She had no openings, but I was told I could drop him off the next morning and she would work him in.
Dr. T. called me after she saw him. She was 99% certain that Spunky had a tumor and that it was cancerous. They only way to be 100% sure would be to surgically remove his eye and have tissue sent to the lab. If it was cancer, the chances of it coming back were high.
It was with a heavy heart that I decided to let him go. It was not a decision that I made lightly. I had just spent close to $700 on Johnny for lab work, medicine, and finally, helping him cross the Bridge and his cremation. I had spent close to $300 on Spunky's ER visit, and another $100 to board him. I feel horrible that economics had to be a factor in my decision. Spunky's age was also another factor. He was 15. He was in pain. Even if I had brought him home for hospice care, he would have been kept in a closed room so he would be able to get his pain meds and not hide on me. He would have been miserable. I ask that you not judge me harshly for the decision I made.
I will always miss that sweet boy. I lost his sister, Panda, to kidney disease when she was only 9. I worry about his other sister, Ginger, and if she will cope with his passing. They were a bonded pair and cuddled together a lot. She still has her buddy, Batman, to snuggle with.
Several people have asked me if I will get another cat or two to "replace" Johnny and Spunky. I don't think they intended to sound cold or uncaring. I don't think it was meant to be that way. Those boys can never be replaced. The wounds of losing to furbabies in two weeks will take time to heal. I have 12 senior cats to take care of. I can't even consider bringing another kitty into my home at this time.
Fly free my sweet goofy boy. I will always love you.