Pages

Wednesday, January 17, 2018

A Post from One-Eyed Fiona

Hello everyone. I don't post much, but I'm Clarissa's feisty younger sister. I'm either 14 or 15 years old. I've lived with Clarissa since February 2005. When mom adopted me the shelter said I was either 2 or 3 years old. When I first came to my forever home I was scared and had trust issues. Some of it had to do with only having sight in one eye. I bit mom the first morning I was home because she came up on my blind side! I kinda felt bad about it. It took some time, but I learned to trust and I became quite the lap cat.

But lately I've become grumpy again. I growl and hiss and get angry when any of the other cats get in my space. I sometimes get the same way when mom picks me up. At first mom thought it was because Tovah and Cinnamon joined the family. But they keep to themselves and they don't bother me. Cash has become very bothersome and I think he does it to irritate me. I also think he is vying for a higher position in the cat hierarchy here.

Also, mom recently noticed that my breath stinks. Not like 'cat food breath', but really stinks. I've also started keeping to myself. I have a hiding place under a footstool that is over a floor vent. It's warm and hidden by a long drape so I've been sleeping there a lot. I mean A LOT!
Mom took me to the vet on Monday afternoon for an exam. Those two whippersnappers were going in to get their spay stitches removed. Anymew, I despise going to the vet. I get really ugly when I go to the vet. I growled and hissed, and complained throughout my exam. So here is what mom found out.

(1) I have had a heart murmur for a long time. Mom knew about that. Now I have an irregular heartbeat. The vet said it sounds like a gallop.

(2) My kidneys have shrunk (or shrank) and are failing. That is probably the cause of my bad breath. The same thing happened to Angel Fred. The vet said they go hand in hand (or paw in paw in our case).

(3) I've gone from 8 lbs. to a little over 5 lbs. Now that is over an almost 5 year period. I have been healthy and I stay inside, so mom hasn't taken me to the vet since 2013. Since it upsets me so much, she was okay with this arrangement. I was too.

(4) It's just a matter of time before I will be crossing the Bridge.

The vet recommend against having a blood panel done. I was so upset and I'm so hard to handle, she was afraid I would go into cardiac arrest. And given what she found out with the exam, she said she was sure the results would tell her that my kidney function is very low.

I'm on a prescription diet for now and I'm still showing an interest in food and water. As long as I'm not in pain and I'm getting up and around, mom said she will cherish the time we have. Once my quality of life fades, she will help me cross the Bridge.

Mom is sad, but she accepts the fact that with so many senior cats our time with her is on the short side. I don't know how much time I have left with her. It may be a few weeks or it may be a few months. But I've had such a wonderful, long, and happy life with mom. I'm not ready to say farewell just yet, but I know the time is drawing close.

Purrs,
One-Eyed Fiona

11 comments:

  1. Dear Fiona, your vet told your mom the same things that our vet told us when we took Chuck in for a heart echo. His heart was galloping, functioning poorly, and one of his kidneys was 1/2 the size it should be. We got him on heart meds right away, and he lived for years. I'll send a prayer that your time on earth is much longer than that!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank for the information about your Chuck. I am impossible to pill. Mom has tried. I might do alright if something is mixed in my food. I'm so glad that the meds worked for Chuck and that you had a long time with him.
      Purrs,
      Fiona

      Delete
    2. I too have one that is impossible to pill. I recently bought a package of the Greenies pill pockets not really having any hope for them but one of those might as well try. Well was I surprised! They are really soft so you can wrap them around the pill and Mr. Impossible ate it! In fact we gave one to each of our cats just to see if they would eat them and everyone did.

      Delete
    3. We found Pill Masker worked nicely, which is edible Play-Doh stuff that The Hubby wrapped all of the pieces of meds into. At first, Chuck would eat the wad like it was a treat, but then we scooped him up when he was napping somewhere, opened his yap and tossed that wad down the hatch! maybe your vet can give you a 5 minute class on pilling, since they are experts!

      Delete
  2. Purrayers and POTP to you and your Mom, Fiona. Just love on each other as much as you can.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Mary. Fiona is hiding at the moment. She isn't in her regular spots. I'm sure she has found a warm place. I love that little feisty cat so much.
      Mom Malinda

      Delete
  3. Darling Fiona...my mommy has leaky eyes. Love love love. Your mommy loves you and you love her. Stay as long as you are able precious girl and here is mom's and my love.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh Katie! Tell your mom it is okay. I know my Bridge mansion will be beautiful and I will have two good eyes. Mom's eyes are leaking a bit too. I try to play tough, but I really do love her.
      Purrs,
      Fiona

      Delete
  4. Please don't give up. Did the vet recommend some fluids for you? They can be done at home. Also, there are appetite stimulants, anti nausea meds and phosphorous binders. I have most of these things from my Angel Phoebe except the fluids. If you want them, please email me at pilch92@aol.com and I can send them to you.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm so sorry that you are doing poorly, Fiona. I'm sending lots of purrs to you, and to your human. I hope you have more quality time left than either of you expect.

    ReplyDelete
  6. st francis' blessings to you Fiona that you still have many quality days left to spend with mom and the family ♥♥♥

    ReplyDelete